Wheat Germ Burgers
||Makes 4 servings
A good burger alternative. Little long in the making but generally worth the effort for larger numbers.
2 large eggs
3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat jack cheese
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
1 1/2 cups long zucchini shreds
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, (1 to 2)
4 kaiser rolls, or hamburger buns
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped, (4 to 8)
1 large tomato, thinly sliced (about 8 oz.)
1. In a large bowl, beat eggs to blend. Stir in wheat germ, cheese, mushrooms, onion, thyme, rosemary, and zucchini. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. On a sheet of plastic wrap, shape mixture into 4 equal patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wide non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
4. Add patties and cook until deep golden on bottom (4-5 minutes). Turn patties over; add 1 teaspoon more oil to pan, if needed. Cook until deep golden on other side (about 4 more minutes).
5. To serve, place patties on bottoms of buns. Top with yoghurt, catsup, mustard, lettuce leaves, and tomato, then tops of buns.smrtovnice
View more Main Meals recipes
View more Vegetable based recipes