Warm Wild Rice And Asparagus Salad
||Makes 8 servings.
A wonderful warm salad recipe.
1 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
1 cup lentils
1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, about
1 pound slender asparagus
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese *
1. In a 5-6 quart pan, combine rice and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sort through lentils, discarding any debris; rinse lentils, drain, and set aside.
2. Add lentils to rice and continue to simmer until both rice and lentils are tender to bite (about 25 more minutes). Drain and let cool.
3. In a wide nonstick frying pan, combine mushrooms, onion, and 3/4 cup of the broth. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until liquid evaporates and browned bits stick to pan bottom (about 10 minutes).
To deglaze pan, add 1/3 cup of the broth, stirring to loosen browned bits; continue to cook until browned bits form again. Repeat deglazing step about 3 more times or until vegetables are browned, using 1/3 cup more broth each time.
4. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus, thinly slice stalks. Add asparagus and 1/3 cup more broth to mushroom mixture, cook, stirring often, until asparagus is crisp-tender (about 2 minutes).
5. Spoon rice-lentil mixture into a large bowl. Add asparagus mixture, vinegar, and oil; mix gently but thoroughly. Sprinkle with cheese.
* Traditional Parmesan is not exactly a vegetarian cheese, there are though a limited number of alternatives.
View more Salads recipes
View more Quorn and Tofu based recipes