Samosa by Sunita
A favorite tea time snack in India, samosa is also a very popular item on the menu in many a Indian restuarant worldwide. Served with mint chutney on the side, this snack is sure to warm all hearts.
· 4 large white potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
· 1/2 cup boiled and drained green peas
· 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
· 1 tsp amchoor(mango powder)
· 1 tsp red chilli powder
· 1/2 tsp saunf(fennel)powder
· 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
· 1 tablespoon chopped cashewnuts
· Salt to taste
· 3 cups maida(all purpose flour)
· 1/2 cup maida, for rolling out
· 1 tablespoon heated ghee or oil
· Oil for deep frying the samosas
· 1 tablespoon ghee(clarified butter) for the stuffing
· 1 small bowl of cold water
1. Heat the ghee for the stuffing and add the cumin seeds and cashewnuts.
2. When the seeds splutter add the dry powders and fry for 10 seconds.
3. Add the mashed potatoes and green peas and mix well.
4. Mix in salt to taste.
5. Fry on a low flame for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
6. Prepare the cover for the samosa by combining the maida, hot ghee or oil and salt to taste.
7. Add enough water and knead the dough.
8. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
9. Divide the dough into round portions. Take each portion and coat it with some maida so that it does not stick to your hands.
10. Roll it into a not too thin perfect round.
11. With a pizza cutter, make 2 semi circles with the round.
12. Take one half circle. Dip your index finger into the cold water and apply it to the straight edge of the semi circle.
13. Now hold the semicircle in your hand. Fold the straight edge , bringing together the watered edges.
14. Seal the watered edges.
15. You should now have a small triangular maida pocket.
16. Stuff it with the potato mixture and now water-seal the upper edges.
17. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
18. Deep fry in oil till golden brown and serve with mint chutney.
19. Do not overheat the oil, since this will cook only the outer maida covering and the inner layer will remain uncooked even if the samosa has turned dark brown on the outside.
View more Light Bites recipes
View more Biscuits recipes